People have been asked to help draw up a road repair hit list as part of a blitz on Surrey’s worst roads.
The county council will use residents’ suggestions to help create a list of streets most in need of repair. These will then be overhauled as part of a five-year blitz on tackling the root cause of potholes.
John Furey, Surrey County Council’s Cabinet Member for Transport and Environment, said: “We’re serious about improving Surrey’s roads and a huge amount of work has already gone into doing so, since we began working with our new contractor May Gurney more than a year ago.
“We began with the busiest roads and worked downwards. We’ve arrived at the position where 90% of Surrey’s roads are in a decent condition, which means we can now look at improving the remaining 10%, many of which will be smaller residential streets or country roads.
“This is where residents come in. Local people know their neighbourhoods best and we’d like them to help us draw up a hit list of roads we can prioritise for resurfacing.”
The council’s new approach involves planning road maintenance over five years, instead of the usual 12 months. This will provide better value for money because materials can be bought in bulk, meaning more roads can be improved for less money.
People will be able to nominate roads for repair and give their views at a series of roadshows being held in the coming weeks. Suggestions can also be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
To give your views, visit one of the roadshows below which are listed by district and borough:
• Elmbridge – Friday 2 November, Heart Shopping Centre, Walton-on-Thames
• Epsom and Ewell – Sunday 28 October, Market Place, Epsom.
• Guildford – Friday 26 October, High Street, Guildford.
• Mole Valley – Friday 19 October, Dorking Halls car park, Reigate Road, Dorking.
Reigate – Wednesday 17 October, Tunnel Road, by High Street/Church Street,
• Redhill – Thursday 18 October, Maple Square, London Road, Redhill centre.
• Runnymede – Friday 5 October, High Street, Egham.
• Spelthorne – Thursday 27 September, Kempton Park, Sunbury.
• Surrey Heath – Saturday 27 October, Park Street, Camberley.
• Tandridge – Saturday 20 October, Morrisons, East Hill, Oxted.
• Waverley – Saturday 13 October, Crown Court car park, The Burys, Godalming.
• Woking – Thursday 4 October, Commercial Way, Woking.
All events will run from 11am to 4pm and further dates will be confirmed on the council’s website.
For more information, visit: http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/highwaysinfo or call 0300 200 1003.
Media requiring more information can contact Surrey County Council senior media relations officer James Oxley on 0208 541 7259.