Library cards featuring local athletes are now available at Surrey County Council libraries.
The cards were launched this week (1 March) to celebrate the 2012 Games and are free for new joiners.
Existing members can upgrade to a 2012-themed card for only £2 and people can purchase the full set of cards for £5 as souvenirs.
There are five to choose from with each featuring a different sport or Surrey athlete:
- Jenna Randall, a synchronised swimmer from Camberley who won Silver at the 2010 Commonwealth Games.
- Adelle Tracey, a rising track star who won the English Schools National Senior 800m championship and is a member of the Guildford and Godalming Athletics Club.
- Abigail Edmonds, a canoeist from Guildford who came fourth at the 2010 European Championships in the K4 500m and is a member of the Wey Kayak Club.
- Helen Turner, a wheelchair basketball player from Chobham who is a current member of Team GB. After competing at the Beijing and Athens Paralympic Games she is looking forward to London 2012.
- The final card shows a cycle race to celebrate the 2012 Olympic cycling time trial and road race events taking place in Surrey this summer.
Denise Saliagopoulos, Surrey County Council’s Cabinet Member for Community Services and the 2012 Games, said: “The 2012-themed cards are just one of the ways our libraries are celebrating the Games coming to Surrey. They will also host themed events and quizzes and will become ‘pop-up’ tourist information points during the Games to help cater for the influx of tourists and to promote local attractions and businesses. It’s also a great opportunity to showcase our talented athletes.”
Images of individual cards are available at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/surreynews/sets/72157629487933141/
For more information, journalists can contact Surrey County Council media officer Nicole Herlihy on 020 8541 8039 or email email@example.com