Bus users are being urged to make use of five trial Sunday services to be introduced as part of the final stage of Surrey County Council’s bus review.
The new routes will be tested for a year and made permanent if they prove popular.
The decision to trial them was made at a meeting of Surrey County Council’s Cabinet on Tuesday, May 29, when councillors agreed to a series of recommendations as part of the final phase of a countywide bus review.
John Furey, Surrey County Council’s Cabinet Member for Transport and Environment, said: “From the start we’ve been determined to put bus users at the heart of this review to ensure they could help shape the services they use.
“We listened to passengers who told us there was a demand for these Sunday services which is why we’re trialling them. I’d urge people to make use of them, whether it’s for Sunday shopping or getting to work.
“Overall, the bus review was an opportunity to take a fresh look and ensure buses are run where they are needed most, while reducing services where usage is less overall.”
The trial Sunday services are:
• Route 32 from Guildford to Dorking, every two hours
• Route 71 from Guildford to Haslemere, every two hours
• Route 93 from Dorking to Horsham, every two hours
• Route 479 from Bookham to Epsom, every 90 minutes
• The extension of route 53 from Guildford to Cranleigh, through to Ewhurst
The third and final stage of the bus review covered Epsom and Ewell, Mole Valley, Guildford and Waverley. This week’s Cabinet decision followed a three month consultation with bus users and operators.
Overall, the three-year bus review will save around £3.6 million. Action needed to be taken because bus subsidies, which are paid for by the taxpayer, would have soared from £11 million in 2009, to £13 million this year.
Media requiring more information can contact Surrey County Council senior media relations officer James Oxley at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Notes to editors
Changes to bus services made by Cabinet on Tuesday included:
• Improvements to route 408, Epsom – Leatherhead – Cobham – Bookham
• Retention of a through link from Guildford – Godalming – Chiddingfold – Haslemere – Midhurst
• Increased Sunday service on route 20, Guildford – Normandy – Ash – Aldershot
• Extra buses on Saturdays for Newdigate and Leigh
• Maintain service levels to villages including Boxhill, Elstead, Compton, Witley and Hambledon.