Improving our roads, Surrey Fire and Rescue Service

Three dead following coach collision on A3 at Hindhead

Following a coach collision on the A3 at Hindhead Surrey Police have issued the following statement.

Journalists requiring more information should contact Surrey Police’s media relations team.

Three dead following coach collision on A3 at Hindhead

Three people have died and a number have been left seriously injured after a collision involving a coach on the A3 near the Hindhead tunnel last night (September 10).

The 51 seat coach was travelling northbound around 11.50pm when it left the carriageway between the Hindhead tunnel and the Thursley exit and collided with a tree on an embankment. No other vehicles are believed to be involved, although the investigation is still at an early stage.

Three people have been declared dead at the scene and one of the passengers has been airlifted to Southampton General Hospital with life-changing injuries. Further passengers, some of whom have serious injuries, have been taken to the Royal Surrey County Hospital in Guildford, St Peter’s Hospital in Chertsey, St George’s Hospital in Tooting, King’s College Hospital in London, Frimley Park Hospital and Queen Alexandra Hospital in Portsmouth.

The road remains closed northbound while emergency services, including Surrey Police, Surrey Fire and Rescue and South East Coast Ambulance Service, deal with the incident. A large number of resources are in attendance at the scene, including officers from Surrey Police’s Collision Investigation Unit and Roads Policing Unit. Support has also been provided by two Hazardous Area Response Teams and the Sussex Police helicopter, with assistance from the Patient Transport Service and London Ambulance Service in taking people to hospital.

Details on diversions can be found by visiting the Highways Agency website.

The coach is from the Merseyside area and Surrey Police is working closely with its counterparts at Merseyside Police, as well as with the coach company, to identify the passengers and notify relatives. A Casualty Bureau Number has been set up on 0800 056 0154 for anyone with concerns about passengers.

Following medical assessment, passengers will be taken to a rest centre which has been set up nearby and is being managed by Waverley Borough Council.

Surrey Police Assistant Chief Constable Jerry Kirkby said: “This has been declared a major incident and we are working with our colleagues from the other emergency services and other partner agencies to provide a coordinated response in line with agreed protocols. Our thoughts remain with the relatives of the dead and the injured at this time and we are working very hard to notify their next of kin.”

The southbound carriageway was re-opened around 9am but closures remain in place on the northbound carriageway which is likely to remain closed for several hours. Diversions are in place and motorists are asked to avoid the area until the road can be re-opened.


Comments are closed.


Enter your email address to receive new releases by email.

%d bloggers like this: