With snow recently blanketing parts of England and the odds of a white Christmas slashed*, an army of gritters, ploughs and 4x4s are ready to treat roads during extreme weather this winter.
Surrey County Council’s gritting lorries have already seen action this month as road temperatures plummeted below zero.
Reporters, film crews, weather presenters and photographers are welcome to come down and see the winter operation in action. Please find a one minute film of Surrey’s winter preparations below.
Filming and photo opportunities include:
• 16,000 tonnes of salt already in stock
• A fleet of 39 gritting lorries ready for action 24/7, equipped with GPS trackers
• Off road 4×4 vehicles to tackle hard to reach places
• An army of farmers primed to treat rural areas
• Thermal mapping of salting routes
• Advanced ice predictions systems fed with information from roadside weather stations
If you’d like to cover the story, contact James Oxley in Surrey County Council’s press office on 0208 541 7259 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
*The odds of a white Christmas in London have shortened to 7-2 following a flurry of bets by punters, spurred by the recent snowfall in England.