A ‘to do list’ of major road schemes designed to reduce congestion and boost economic growth has been approved by Surrey County Council’s Cabinet.
The list was drawn up in preparation for a series of new funding opportunities worth millions of pounds, which will become available from Government.
Initial planning work will begin on the road projects so that when funding becomes available, Surrey’s bids will be ready for submission, enhancing the chances of securing funds.
John Furey, Surrey County Council’s Cabinet Member for Transport and Environment, said: “Improving transport infrastructure is vital to boosting economic growth in the coming years. The Government recognises this and will be making funding available for major road schemes from various different sources in the future.
“Often these funding opportunities are announced at short notice so by preparing our bids now, we will be ahead of the game. It means Surrey will be at an advantage over others competing for funds when the Government opens the bidding process. The proposed major road schemes are all part of a strategy to address bottlenecks, reduce congestion and support economic growth.”
The list of road schemes was drawn up following discussions with Surrey’s borough and district councils, transport operators and other interested parties.
Surrey County Council is looking to build on its recent success of attracting around £20 million worth of funding through the Department for Transport’s Sustainable Transport Fund.
Commentary on this article from 96.4 Eagle Radio
Media requiring more information can contact Surrey County Council senior media relations officer James Oxley on 0208 541 7259.
Notes to editors
The council will look to secure funding for the following major road improvement schemes (2015 to 2019). For more information on the schemes listed, view the Cabinet paper here.
* Runnymede roundabout
* Guildford gyratory
* Redhill balanced network
* Epsom town centre area action plan
* Farnham town centre improvements
* A30 / A331 Corridor Improvements including Meadows Roundabout, Camberley
* Sustainable transport in Egham
* Improvements to the Network Management and Information Centre, in Leatherhead
* Highway improvements in Camberley
* Victoria arch capacity improvements, Woking
* A31 Hickley’s Corner junction improvement
* A24 Capel to Surrey boundary corridor improvements
* Dorking town centre traffic management measures
* Kiln Lane link, Epsom and Ewell
* Reigate town centre road improvements
* A24 Clarks Green to Holmwood improvements
Proposed county council major road schemes programme for post 2019.
* Guildford hub transport improvement
* Staines-upon-Thames bridge widening
* Woking hub transport improvement
* A31 Hickley’s Corner underpass, Farnham
* Wrecclesham relief road, Farnham
* Guildford A3 strategic corridor improvements
* Reigate and Redhill hub transport improvement
The decision will go before a meeting of the Full Council in December.