General, HP

Surrey councils set up flood recovery centres

As river levels on the Thames start to fall, work is under way to help communities get back on their feet.

Councils across Surrey are setting up flood recovery centres where people can get information and advice to help them recover from the effects of the severe weather.

Seven centres across Runnymede, Elmbridge and Spelthorne are being opened. The locations are:

  • Hythe Centre, Thorpe Road, Egham TW18 3HD
  • Chertsey Hall, Heriot Road, Chertsey KT16 9DR
  • Elmbridge Community Hub, 72 High Street, Walton-on-Thames KT12 1BU
  • Spelthorne Museum, 1 Elmsleigh Road, Staines TW18 4PM
  • St Mary Church Hall, Green Street, Sunbury-on-Thames TW16 6RM
  • Greeno Community Centre, Glebeland Gardens, Shepperton TW17 9DH
  • Lucan Pavilion, The Broadway, Laleham, Staines TW18 1RZ.

Advice on what to do after flooding can be found on the Environment Agency and Public Health England websites. Residents whose insurance policies cover flooding should contact their insurers at the earliest possible opportunity.

Public Health England is advising people across the country that it is sensible to wash hands thoroughly with soap and water after coming into contact with floodwater, and seek GP advice or call the NHS helpline on 111 if they feel ill.

Residents can find out the latest on flooding and the weather by visiting the Environment Agency and Met Office websites.

Drivers and residents can keep updated on local travel updates via the Surrey Travel Twitter feed and BBC website.

The county council has also been helping out with clearing roads and removing fallen trees and further updates, including road closures, can be found on the highways section of Surrey’s website.

People are urged to continue checking on any vulnerable neighbours they think may need help. For more information on adult social care, visit the county council’s website.


Comments are closed.

Information on Coronavirus in Surrey


Enter your email address to receive new releases by email.

Contact a local councillor

%d bloggers like this: