Surrey County Council has been working with the local borough council, community and voluntary organisations, as well as local businesses and residents to support those living with dementia in Oxted.
The town has been recognised for its support to help people living with dementia feel understood, respected and confident living in their community. Other initiatives are taking place elsewhere in Surrey to support residents living with dementia and their families.
Oxted was awarded the Dementia Friendly Community status after making small and impactful changes which included:
- Training staff at local businesses as Dementia Friends
- Showing businesses how to make their premises dementia friendly
- Raising awareness of the symptoms of dementia with residents living in Oxted
- Publicising dementia friendly activities at the local leisure centre
- Showing dementia friendly screenings at the local cinema, with lighting not completely dimmed
- Gaining nearly 30 businesses/organisations pledging to take action to support those living with dementia
Other initiatives are offered by the county council and partner agencies across the county for those living with and caring for someone with dementia:
- Dementia Navigators understand personal circumstances and offer the unique support, information and guidance.
- Dementia cafes, day centres and dementia carer support groups provide support to people living with dementia and the people looking after them.
Sinead Mooney, Cabinet Member for Adult Social Care and Health said: “Around 16,000 people are living with dementia in our county. I’m delighted that we are working with the local community, businesses and residents to support these people to live well and independently for as long as possible.
“There are currently three Dementia Friendly Communities in Surrey including Oxted and I hope this latest work inspires more communities to be dementia friendly and understand the importance of welcoming everyone to the community.”
The three Dementia Friendly Communities in Surrey are Oxted, Woking and Shannon Court, Hindhead.
For more information about local dementia support and initiatives, visit surreycc.gov.uk/dementia.