New Surrey service means telling us once

A new countywide service designed to make it easier to report deaths has been launched in Surrey.

The Tell Us Once service, developed by Department for Work and Pensions, is being used by Surrey County Council in partnership with the county’s 11 district and borough councils and removes some of the stress and red tape of reporting a significant event.

Currently, a death has to be reported to the registrar as well as several other separate public services.

Under the new service, when someone dies, residents will only have to inform the local registrar. With consent, the registrar will then pass the right information to the relevant public services.

The service is being offered to all residents when they make a booking to register a death and the updated information will be shared with organisations such as Department for Work and Pensions, Identity and Passport Service and the DVLA as well as council departments.

Michael Gosling, Surrey County Council’s Cabinet Member for Adult Social Care and Health, said: “Dealing with a death is one of the most important things a family has to face and the last thing relatives want to do is make dozens of phone calls to update their records.

”Until now relatives had to contact each organisation separately but Tell Us Once will do that for them and will help to make things that bit easier at difficult times.”

For more information about registering a death and the Tell Us Once service, visit or phone 0300 200 1002.


Notes for editors

To register a death in Surrey you first need to make an appointment with your local registrar by calling 0300 200 1002. You will be asked if you would like to use the Tell Us Once service to automatically notify central government departments and local council services of the death. If you choose to opt in, you will be told what additional information you will need to bring with you to the register office appointment.

The following organisations can be notified:

Department for Work and Pensions

  • The Pension, Disability and Carer service
  • Jobcentre Plus
  • HM Revenue & Customs
  • Child Benefit
  • Tax Credits
  • Identity and Passport service
  • Housing Benefit office
  • The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Authority

Council services

  • Council tax office
  • Libraries
  • Blue badges
  • Adult social care
  • Children’s social care
  • Collection of payment for council services
  • Electoral services


Comments are closed.


Enter your email address to receive new releases by email.

%d bloggers like this: