Crossrail 2 drop-in sessions in Surrey
The first of a series of events in Surrey to help people find out more about the planned Crossrail 2 railway takes place in Epsom.
Transport for London is holding the drop-in sessions at the Ebbisham Centre tomorrow and Thursday from 12pm and further events will be held in Surrey and London throughout this month and next.
Proposals for the Cross-London line take in Shepperton, Epsom, Hampton Court and Chessington South stations on its southern tip.
For more information about the events and taking part in the consultation, visit the TfL website. If the cross-London line gets government approval, it could be running by 2030.
Wi-fi boost for Surrey libraries
Surrey library users will benefit from a better free wi-fi connection thanks to funding from the Arts Council.
The £36,000 will enable 13 county council libraries to upgrade their coverage to make it more reliable by next March.
Surrey Libraries secured the money to help people who are unable to access the internet at home get online.
Richard Walsh, Surrey County Council’s Cabinet Member for Localities and Community Wellbeing, said: “It’s great that we will be able to offer enhanced wi-fi in our libraries to help residents stay online and we’d like to thanks the Arts Council at a time when we are facing huge financial pressures and an unprecedented demand for our services.”
The libraries to benefit from increased wi-fi coverage are Ashford, Banstead, Caterham Valley, Dittons, Egham, Farnham, Guildford, Haslemere, Knaphill, New Haw, Walton, Weybridge and Woking.
Music festivals for Surrey schools
Primary schools in Surrey are being invited to participate in a number of music festivals across the county by Surrey Arts.
The festivals, which attract audiences in excess of 10,000, offer schoolchildren the chance to sing in some of the county’s largest venues.
All performances will begin from 7pm, please see below for a list of dates and venues for next year’s festivals.
- Godalming festival – Monday 21 March at Charterhouse School, Godalming
- Woking festival – Tuesday 22 March at Princes Hall, Aldershot
- Mole Valley festival – Wednesday 20 April at Dorking Halls, Dorking
- Epsom and Ewell festival – Monday 25 April at Dorking Halls, Dorking
- South-East festival – Wednesday 27 April at Dorking Halls, Dorking
- Elmbridge festival – Tuesday 3 May at Dorking Halls, Dorking
- East Surrey festival – Monday 16 May at Dorking Halls, Dorking
- Mid Surrey festival – Wednesday 18 May at Dorking Halls, Dorking
- North Surrey festival – Monday 23 May at Princes Hall, Aldershot
- West Surrey festival – Wednesday 8 June at Princes Hall, Aldershot
- Surrey Borders festival – Monday 13 June at Dorking Halls, Dorking
For more information about the festivals contact Surrey Arts by email on firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01737 737734.