Surrey County Council’s new Chairman, Vice-Chairman, Leader of the Council, Cabinet and Select Committee members were elected and confirmed today at the Council’s AGM.
The meeting was held in person but with COVID-19 control measures in place, at the Council’s new HQ at Wodhatch Place, Reigate.
Cllr Tim Oliver, Leader of Surrey’s Conservative group, was elected Leader of the Council – continuing in the role he was first elected to in December 2018.
Accepting the role, Cllr Oliver, said: “It’s a great privilege for all of us to be elected to serve our communities, and even more so to be elected as Leader. I will stay true to our guiding principles of equal opportunity, improving life expectancy and ensuring that no one in this county is left behind.”
He announced a new Cabinet as follows:
- Cabinet Member for Children and Families – Clare Curran
- Cabinet Member for Education and Learning – Denise Turner-Stewart
- Cabinet Member for Adults – Sinead Mooney
- Cabinet Member for Economic Development and Property – Natalie Bramhall
- Cabinet Member for Finance and Resources – Becky Rush
- Cabinet Member for Transport and Infrastructure – Matt Furniss
- Cabinet Member for Environment – Marisa Heath
- Cabinet Member for Communities – Mark Nuti
Helyn Clack takes over from Tony Samuels as Chairman of the Council, with Saj Hussain being elected to Vice-Chairman.
For a full list of new councillors and Select Committee appointments, see: Surrey County Council – Agenda for Council on Tuesday, 25 May 2021, 10.00 am (surreycc.gov.uk).